I want to create online communities, content management tools, and collaboration sites through the use of Open Source software, particularly using Perl-language tools.
Education (a.k.a. how much homework I did)
Manhattan Christian College, August 1996 to December 1997
Publishing (a.k.a. bragging about my ideas)
Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp, "Developing RESTful Web Services in Perl," ONLamp.com, O'Reilly, //www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2008/02/19/developing-restful-web-services-in-perl.html , February 19, 2008.
Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp, "Single Sign-on in Jifty using CAS+ (Part 2)," ONLamp.com, O'Reilly, //www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/06/09/cas-single-sign-on-with-jifty-part-2.html , June 14, 2007.
Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp, "Single Sign-on in Jifty using CAS+ (Part 1)," ONLamp.com, O'Reilly, //www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/05/31/cas-single-sign-on-with-jifty.html , May 31, 2007.
Andrew Hanenkamp, ¿Using Java Classes in Perl,¿ perl.com, O'Reilly, //www.perl.com/pub/a/2006/12/21/using-java-classes.html , December 21, 2006.
A. Hanenkamp, D. Andresen, ¿Heterogeneous Channel Bonding Revisited,¿ to appear in the Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing and Systems (PDCS 2003), pp. 387¿392. Nominated for IASTED Best Paper Award in the area of Communication Issues. Marina Del Rey, CA, November 3-5, 2003.
Skills (a.k.a. Buzzword Bingo)
Experience (a.k.a. companies and people that believed in me)
Boomer Consulting, Inc., February 2006 to present
- Business Development
- Participate in strategic planning process at semi-annual firm summits
- Recommend solutions regarding technical aspects of business plans and ways to profit from technology products
- Provide technology solutions related to associations, classes, conferences, and consulting provided to clients
- Use and customize Open Source content management systems like Drupal and Magnolia ECM to build content infrastructure
- Use Open Source platforms like Jifty to build custom web applications for handling surveys, statistics, and single sign-on
- Gather requirements, design, implement, test, and document software development projects
- IT Support
- Manage dedicated hosted servers by installing and upgrading custom applications and other related software
- Create server installation images and deploy and maintain server instances using Amazon EC2
- Create documentation and handle support calls for staff and clients
- Customize Best Practical RT for specialized issue tracking
- Develop a custom CMS for the internal knowledge base
- Extend Microsoft Active Directory for cross-platform accounts
- Develop an agent-based configuration management system, integrated with RT
- Teach an undergraduate course on Computer Architecture
- Help faculty, staff, students in a 250+ system network
- Write policy, administrative, and end-user documentation
- Manage four student staffers and one full-time staff person
- Use J2EE, EJB, and JSP to create a prerequisite checker
- Configure and maintain Oracle 9i RDBMS
- Linux kernel development for channel bonding (trunking) experiments
- Answer students' system and database questions
Part-time Network Consultant
Network Resource Group, Inc., October 1998 to November 2001
- Develop web-based project management system using Java/J2EE
- Extend a Perl-based spam and email antivirus filtering solution
- Build PHP-based ASP tools for monitoring client email filtering
- Develop a Windows GUI application for data-entry in C++
- End-user computing, server, and network support for clients
Projects (a.k.a. pro bono work)
- Install/maintain Drupal installation.
- Integrate layout design and improve content design
- Help manage content and policies
- Develop helps and other materials on how to use the site
- Minor contributor to the project
- Specifically interested in Jifty::DBI object-relational mapping API, database backed models API
- Worked on class auto-generation
- Built the initial graphing and charting plugin and API
CAS+ Implementation of CAS
- Provides a single sign-on server compatible with Yale's CAS
- Written with Jifty in Perl
- Allows a single Drupal installation to share/not share nodes on multiple sites
- Makes use of taxonomy to make decisions per node
- Allows for registration with a promotional code
- Grants special privileges on registration (or on activation)
- Optionally strips privileges, blocks, or deletes an account when the promotion expires
Presence (a.k.a. other places I appear on the Information Superhighway)
Favorite Books (a.k.a. others sometimes have good ideas too)
A list of technical, non-fiction books I am currently reading or recently read and enjoyed.
- The Myths of Innovation by Scott Berkun
- Open Business Models by Henry Chesbrough
- Perl Best Practices by Damian Conway (I do not frequently agree with Conway, but he does bring up ideas that make you think about how you code in Perl.)
- Innovation Happens Elsewhere by Ron Goldman and Richard P. Gabriel